It's very important that your new SSD is formatted correctly before you attempt to restore from time machine.
After you install the new SSD in your system, follow these steps to correctly format and initialise it:
How to Format your SSD
- Power on your mac, press and hold the Option key during startup.
- Select the Time Machine backup disk.
- On the next window, choose 'Disk Utility'
- Select 'Show all devices' (important!)
- Select the Jetdrive model on the top left
- Click the 'Erase' button on the top center.
- Type in a name for the new partition (this where you’ll save data on the drive and it’ll be the name for your SSD).
- On the menu settings, verify that the partition is set to GUID Partition Table.
- Verify that the selected format defaults to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
- Select Erase. The drive will now be partitioned, formatted, and ready for use.
The video below explains this in greater detail: